Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Muse: The Resistance


For anyone who has seen my twitter messages recently, you know I have been obsessively listening to Muse's new album titled "The Resistance" which was released last week (9/14) pretty much every where. I must admit was not a big Muse fan before about a year ago. and in general I'm not a big music guy. I have a few bands I like including The Killers and Foo Fighters, but in general I'll listen to about anything. I first took note of Muse after hearing the song "Starlight." I immediately bought all their albums but found that their most recent album (before The Resistance) "Black Holes and Revelations" was their best. One of the main reasons I'm a fan of Muse is that their music has a certain sci-fi feel. Both thematically in the content of the lyrics, and in musical composition. They utilize alot of elements that are found in new age/spacemusic. I'm a big space/scfi nerd so this is right up my alley.

With "The Resistance" Muse has combined science fiction and political revolution in a feast for the ears. The CD begins with "Uprising" described as a hooligan revolutionary chant. The title track "Resistance" is a 1984 Orwellian inspired love song. "Undisclosed Desires" is a sexy and sleek R&B style track. The next track "United States of Eurasia"is a Queenesque political commentary which ends interestingly with Chopin and jet engins. One of my favorite tracks "Guiding Light" is a balad of love lost. Other tracks include "Unatural Selection," "MK Ultra," and "I Belong to You (Mon Coeur s'ouvre a ta voix)." The CD concludes with a 15 minute 3 part Symphony "Exogenesis" which is about the Death of Earth and humanity's escape to a new world.

This is by far my favorite Muse album. It makes me yearn for a Muse scored science fiction film. I would however settle for a rumored Muse James Bond Song which has been hinted at by the band themselves. If you enjoy previous Muse hits like "Starlight" and "Invincible" you will definately enjoy their newest venture.